Why isn't the DD Show in reruns

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Why isn't the DD Show in reruns

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Question:
The subject of why the DD Show has not been picked up for reruns was brought up recently. I have asked myself this question many times over the years. Does anyone have knowledge about this? Who owns the show - CBS or Arwin productions? Could Marty have written something into the contract that made buying the show prohibitive to networks?

It has been shocking to me considering Doris' popularity and the relative success of the show that it did not go into reruns. Could it have been content? Were TV shows generally already way beyond the saccharin and bucolic first season of the show? Not sure that that issue would have held back potential buyers. They are still playing reruns of "Lucy" after all these years.

Any ideas?

Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Why isn't the DD Show in reruns

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lauren = I read somewhere that the constant changing of the show's format hindered it for re-runs - don't know how much weight there is to this? I'd love to see it on regular TV too- especially here in the UK where Doris was/ is so popular.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I agree with that theory. I don't know why the Powers at CBS allowed Doris to make those changes every season. If you look at the some of the most successful TV shows down through the years, the one thing that holds steady is the personnel. I could see Doris removing herself from the farm but she changed side kicks every year and the boys disappeared.

As a singer, actress and dancer Doris reigned supreme, but a producer she ain't.

Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lauren - while I agree to a large extent about the changes and the problems they brought- I thought Doris was only producer/co-producer in the final year of her tv show?

Much as Seasons 4 and 5 have grown on me since they were first released on DVD- I think Seasons 2 and 3 were way superior and it was a big mistake to change things so fundamentally from Season 4 on-wards - especially the complete disappearance of the boys. Before that - in Seasons 1-3 - the show and the character naturally evolved in a way that [as one commentator noted] was way more natural and real life than most of the shows at that time which didn't evolve at all.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

Arwin Productions had exclusive rights to these shows I believe I contacted ME Televison, and they said that it was because of licensing issues. Hope that helps. And her show did run on reruns in the past, as I've watched them. The 2nd wave of reruns was on CBN, Christian Broadcasting Network, that also produced Doris Day's Best Friends, which I hope goes on DVD soon!.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I've heard that ME-TV will be showing her show on their network in 2014. Has anyone heard any updates on this? Or whether there will be any DVD release of her Best Friends show? I know in honor of her birthday some of the songs will be on CDs from her BF show