Doris Day TV Special

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day TV Special

Unread post by ray »

Many on the forum never saw this first Doris Day TV Specail originally titled The Doris Mary Anne Kappeloff Special. It is total Classic class with Doris riding her bike to the opening songs, filmed at a golf course and Doris looks fresh and brezzy and sounds woderful singing Secet Love, Feelin Groovey and a few other tunes.
We then go to a replic of her backyard in Beverly Hills and singing Hurry Its Lovely Up here! And lovely it is as Doris intoduces her family of Doggies and sings, You Must have Been a Beautiful Baby. Then she intoduces Perry Como and he sings Didn't We, solo.
We then go to Doris modeling fashions in a stills in motion with two great production numbers to Gypsey In My Soul with a Latin look and feel and a roaring twenties Them Were The Good Ole Days number.
Next Doris and Perry are together with some beautiful medleys. Its all total magic seeing these two crooners doing what they do best crooning!
Doris looks all Hollywood for clips of her crying scenes from her movies and thats when Rock Hudson shows up with a crying towel for Doris. She introduces him as Tab Hunter, to much laughter and then he plants a kiss on her and she says his mustache tickles.
Then Doris solo singing Both Sides Now, which is heaven. Finshes with It's Magic and Sentimental Journey. A bravo socko show from start to finish.
We who have seen the specail will be delighted with an extra hour of out takes etc... It's Magic again for sure!!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Cover Photo

Unread post by ray »

The attractive cover photo for the frist TV Special was originally the inside photo for a TV Guide interview in 1969 for Doris talking about The Doris Day Show. The cover for that interview on TV Guide was the photo used for The Second Season DVD's. To see a preview and cover go to www.dorisdaytribute.com news section.

ray
I danced with Doris!

More Special Trivia

Unread post by ray »

The first TV Special was filmed in 1970 during hiatus of The Doris Day Show but didn't air till March 14,1971.

Doris's real last name Kapplehoff was used in the special but mispelled according to the book Sentimenatal Journey. What is the correct spelling?
One TV Magazine hailed at the time, "Doris finally gets to do her thing, sing"!

The show got an Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy, Variety or Music for a Special Program.
A review from Variety said-"As a first special effort, it was canny showcaseing for Miss Day in a format comfortable to her, and informal warmth was enough despite a tendency for the content to more looking back then forward. One could have hoped for a demonstation of her ample comedy-playing capabilities, but as it was, all that charm and lilting melody was quite satisfactory."

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

Thanks for an overview of it, Ray...

I am so looking forward to seeing it for the first time!!!!

CAN'T WAIT!

:lol:
- Katie

Jas1
Honorary Member

sentimental journey

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, I have seen this on video and really look forward to seeing it again on DVD. I particularly love the duets with Doris and Perry - they make a lovely couple and she flirts outrageously with him - if one didn't know he had been happily married for years, talk would have ensued!

Also love the last 2 songs with Doris in that (was it white or pink)? trouser suit sining Its Magic and Sentimental Journey. She looks fab and the outfit is not unlike the suit she wore to the 1989 Golden Globes.

Pam~

Unread post by Pam~ »

Jas1, her outfit looks white on my video... and your right, it looked very much like the outfit she wore at the Golden Globes. That special was absolutely the best, because she treated us, to so many of her wonderful songs. Her other special "Doris Day Today" is also wonderful, especially when she appeared and sang with John Denver.

Pam~

Unread post by Guest »

Hi ! There will be an airing of the Doris Day Special (Perry Como) Nov. 26 @ 6pm N.Y. time on WLIW21 public Tele figuire youd like a heads up

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

will it be on all pbs stations??
- Katie

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

Oh, no it's not...I only get PBS Boston..I guess it's only on in NY....shucks!

:evil:
- Katie

Special

Unread post by Special »

Check your local PBS listings as the Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff special will be shown in my area December 4th at 8PM
Ken

ray
I danced with Doris!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Unread post by ray »

Katie we have to check our local PBS station and see if it will play in our area!! Hope so! What a nice surprise Doris's first Special is showing on PBS!

daybyday08
Honorary Member

perry.

Unread post by daybyday08 »

is it just me or did perry seem alittle nervous when doris was with him?
doris was so warm and loving and i think just alittle too much in this special i was soo surprised but i was an amazing special i love her but did you think it was weird the way she was with perry or do you think that was just in the script? :shock:
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

My guess is that Doris and Perry did exactly what was expected of them. They're both ultra professional, and I don't think they made a false move.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

YES

Unread post by daybyday08 »

i agree with you i think they where just being who they are. I just hadn't experienced them together before.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

oh... this is the Doris Day Special... I was thinking about buying it on Amazon... and after reading these comments I think I will!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Erica_R_Stone

Re: Doris Day TV Special

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

Today I received this in the mail and am watching it now. I was looking at the cover and noticed that Doris Day is still wearing her wedding ring. Which brings up two questions for me:

Does anyone know when she stopped wearing the ring?

In many of her publicity photos (before Marty Melcher passed away) she is wearing the ring. Which looks to be a two piece set. A gold flat band and then a band with a diamond setting. I think she also wore it in a movie. Am I correct?
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

This for me was the absolute best of her 2 TV Specials. Perry Como was excellent as always - I have always been a major fan of his so its great to be able to hear and see him once again - especially since none of his TV shows or specials have found their way onto DVD'S. There is a lad in England - Matthew Long - who runs the Perry Como Appreciation Society and he is attempting to get the Como family to re-release the Como shows but thus far there has been no action on this matter.
Getting back to Perry & Doris - this marked their only appearance together thereby their only duets. For me they were the absolute finest of American Popular Singers - there were other good ones of course - but stylistically both Doris & Perry had similar approaches as to how they approached a song - so it was great hearing their musicality.
Unfortunately there followed the controversy where Doris would not participate in Perry's Christmas Special which almost led to a legal entanglement -- Perry was quite angered over this entire matter. They were never to perform together again.
At any rate - true, Perry does seem uncomfortable at times with Doris' admiring gazes but Perry was basically a low-key family oriented and religious type of guy so perhaps he was not accustomed to all the attention he was getting from Doris on the show. Or maybe it was written into the script ? Who knows ? Haven't seen a copy of the script so its often hard to tell which is planned or which is spontaneous.

Robert13

Unread post by Robert13 »

This is possible one of my favorite things that Doris has ever done. I have seen it sooo many times. I love the chemistry between Doris and Perry. I never knew that she was supposed to appear on one of his Christmas Specials. I knew he had done a bunch of specials and wondered why Doris was never a special guest. But I had no idea she was asked and didn't do it. Anyone know why? My guess is she didn't want to do much more in the TV field after her series ended. But again, that's just speculation. Anyone?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

There are at least 2 versions of why Doris didn't do Perry's special - it was agreed he would do her show and in turn, she would do his.
1.- Version one - Doris backed out when she discovered Perry's show was to be recorded live;

2. - Version two [Doris' version] - she was meant to do the show with Perry but other commitments got in the way (including the ongoing trial against her ex-lawyer) - Doris said that to do such a show required a lot of rehearsal and there was just so much going on in her life at that time (including doing her own weekly TV show) that it just did not materialise.

Robert13

Unread post by Robert13 »

Either way, I think it's understandable.

Was Doris nervous doing live shows? She doesn't strike me that way. Then again, you never really know how someone feels underneath. Maybe she preferred recorded shows versus live shows.

I hope they were able to reconcile. They seem like good friends on her TV special.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Every time I try to up load a picture it gives the same mesage, the extension bmp is not allowed. how does one go about uploading pictures here?

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR MOUSE
SAVE PICTURE AS
(and put it wherever you want it)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The first TV Special was taped in 1970 and didn't air till 1971. They were looking for a sponser supposedly but when it did air it did very very well in the ratings. Was called a polished musical hour. The TV days were not easy for Doris. A music variety series could have been the right format.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Agreed, Ray. Wouldn't it have been great to have her singing weekly, and with great guest stars like Sinatra, Ella, Mathis, etc?
Like Irene Dunne done.