The Doris Day Show--Season 3

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Teachers_Pet

The Doris Day Show--Season 3

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

I received a Google Alert tonight about the release of Season 3 of the DD Show:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4312

The article also mentions the release of Doris's 1971 special--THE DORIS MARY ANN KAPPELHOFF SPECIAL, with guest stars Perry Como and Rock Hudson.

Keep 'em coming. :D

jboy4day
Forum Friend

Thanks for the information on the third season!

Unread post by jboy4day »

I'm waiting for the fourth and fifth as well and the last special and I HOPE someone is working on the Best Friends Show which will be great fun to view!

J
"Hello. I'm Beverly Boyer, and I'm a pig."
Doris Day "The Thrill Of IT All" 1963

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Bun

Unread post by ray »

LOL! That bun WAS a bit distacting! Doris may have thought she would start a hairdo trend. Only Doris could get away with that. Its is kinda futuristic looking and still may catch on, where else can Do's go?

Jas1
Honorary Member

season 3 - the bun!

Unread post by Jas1 »

On the hair topic re -season 3 - I don't particularly like the bun either and much preferred it when Doris wears her hair in a pony tail as she does often enough in season 3. And what I find even more of a distraction is that wonderful Day figure (enhanced in wonderful fashions) - amazing!

ray
I danced with Doris!

What will be...will be forever!

Unread post by ray »

Doris walked into the 70's and the third season of her TV series as a glorious throwback to Hollywood's Golden era. With her bubble bun and Mida dresses and big hats she palnted herself in our living rooms weekly and remained true to herself.
Who knew in a few short years her series would be over and the court win assured her an early retirement away from the public eye she was so uncomfortable with.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Season 3

Unread post by Jas1 »

Got Season 3 and it is my favourite! Miss Day looks superb - bubble bun or not - her clothes are fantastic and very toDay!

I particluarly loved hearing Doris sing again - the Xmas show - she looked wonderful and the whole show was full of such good cheer. The Tony Bennett show too was wonderful, to hear Doris sing with him - superb, and Doris going to Hollywood, class!

As with her films, I WANT that apartment, that life!

Oh, and Philip Brown's remarks were brilliant - love it love it love it!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Third Season

Unread post by ray »

The episode were Doris get a new job with Lew Ayres ( Willaim Tyler ) ,there were shades of Teacher's Pet and The Man Who Knew Too Much, with the belly dancer and Doris looking so disinterested and when her TV son is missing.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Third Season

Unread post by ray »

Doris's hair-do's in the Fashion Show defied gravity and the way she looked so chic and in shape defied her age! She was in her late forties and looked fabulous!

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Episode 6 - Doris Leaves Today's World (part2)

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

We know that Doris is an great actress, and a lot of us think about the kidnap scene in The man who knew too much, when Doris hears that her son is missing. That scene is teriffic.

Well on this episode of The Doris Day Show, Toby is missing while Doris is in Greece. It's very emotional and believable scene. Great done by Doris. You can feel the emotions. A job very well done.

So if you own this episode, watch it. This is the way acting should be.

Peter

Jas1
Honorary Member

Season 3

Unread post by Jas1 »

Actually, as series 3 goes on 'the bun' becomes less pronounced and by the time Doris 'Goes to Hollywod' and the 'Xmas show' - her hair worn up is quite lovely. Didn't she look superb in that black and red outift for her Xmas party? - that show actually made me cry -happy tears, it is so full of good cheer - and will be a must to watch come December.

Doris in Hollywood in that wonderful figure hugging purple dress is divine.

Doris skiing (anyone) with Mr Gavin, is wonderful and as Rose Marie said in the cast interview (season 2) - the shows were indeed classy!

Have never seen episodes from seasons 4 and 5 but going by the preview of season 4, I think (sadly) something will be greatly missing with the likes of the boys, Myrna etc missing.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Season Four and Five

Unread post by ray »

Actually Jas you are going to be pleasantly surprised with season four and five, Doris is perkier and funnier and has various male suitors. Acting like the sexy and alive wowan that she is , seeing several men instead of dating just one. Thats how a real seventies woman behaved and Doris played it out well with a healthy attitude and many love scenes. That helped her shed the goody image that never really was what she was all about anyway. Even in Pillow Talk she suggested she dated many men but Rock in that movie was THE one for her. After a few shows you totally forget about Rose Marie, the boys and Buck. Thats what acting is about, making you believe the situation I guess.

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

WOW!

Season 4,5 sounds really great! Doris changes her "image"!
But we have to wait till September for Season 4.....

Tanja :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Changes

Unread post by ray »

Doris must have like the format changes on her TV show since she was used to different roles in Movies. At least she wasn't bored with the same format year after year.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Larry Storch

Unread post by ray »

Just watched the show where Duke ( Larry Storch ) becomes a nightclub performer. Doris even sings and dances a little with Larry and he does pretty good impersonations of Doris Co-stars James Cagney and Cary Grant. I read one time that Doris was seeing a comedian, could it have been Larry?? He certainly could make her laugh! Don't think Doris would really be attracted to Larry in that way, just adding a little spice to the forum!!LOL!
By the way Larry was hysterical in the short lived TV series F-Troop with Ken Berry.

ray
I danced with Doris!

More TV Trivia

Unread post by ray »

Ken Berry who co-starred with Larry Storch in F-Troop also had his own show with Mayberry RFD, a spinoff of Mayberry with Andy Griffin. Ken was married to Doris's long time pal Jackie Joseph. They divorced in the early seventies. And Andy Griffin from mayberry fame did a guest appearance as a bad guy on the fifth season of The Doris Day Show. Also as we all know Ron Howard played his son on Mayberry and supposedly Martin Melcher liked both shows that Andy and Ken were in. The first season of the Doris Day Show resembled Mayberry to some degree.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Tony Bennett

Unread post by ray »

Enjoyed the thrid season show with Tony Bennett, Doris even sang briefly with Tony to, "I Left My heart In San Fransisco. " Tony paid a visit years later on Doris's Best Freinds Cable series and sang. Once Upon A Time with Doris walking through a Carmel mall.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Tony Bennett is singing here!

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love the episodes in the 3rd Season where Doris sings and boy is she in top form. One gets the impression she has to hold back a bit on her talent when dueting (same as with Perry Como) - her rendition of 'I left my heart in San-Francisco' is superb as is 'Silver bells' etc from the X-Mas show.

Ray, that is one of the Best Friends shows that I haven't seen and would love to. I know it is the show where that picture comes from of a very chic Doris in a white/ beige two piece skirt suit and long boots and matching beret - she looks superb.

Finally, I love Tony Bennett singing - he is 'perhaps' my favourite male singer. I met him after one of his shows about 10 years ago - didn't think to ask about Doris! Did ask him what he thought of Sarah Vaughan (my favourite) and of course he rated her very highly.

howard
Special Contributer

Tony Bennett quote

Unread post by howard »

Jas: Here's what Tony Bennett had to say about Doris:

“She’s gifted in a way that makes everything she does work. She’s a Hollywood producer’s dream: she has beauty, she’s a great actress, a wonderful singer – putting it simply, she has it all!"

This quote came out of a cd he released a number of years back in which he saluted some of his favorite girl singers.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Reflections

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Howard, yes, that says it all really.

Re- Fashions - did anyone else notice how Doris [Martin] wore some of the clothes she modelled for the French designer? Season 2 - fashion show - Doris later wears the long eggshell blue coat (in the Xmas show). She also wears the cream trouser suit in Season 3 in the episode "The Feminist". On her special (1971) she wears the black evening dress (ruffled at the neckline) that she wears in season 3 - again in "The Feminist". From the season 3 fashion show, she wears the 'groovy' patchwork long waiscoat - in "Doris the spy". - Guess Doris Martin had a stash of loot somewhere to help indulge herself in these wonderful haute coiture creations!!!

Music, - I love how her tv show very often brings in background music associated with her past albums.

Figure - my favourite image of her - MAYBE EVER - could be from season 3 dancing around with the Duke in her pig tails and that grey 'tight fitting' grey sweater and trousers - wow, what a figure - she looks about 28!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Christmas In July!

Unread post by ray »

Watched the third season Christmas show with Doris singing Silver Bells and Silent Night. Billy De Wolfe playing Scrooge made for a delightful episode.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Xmas show

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ray - the first time I watched this episode I cried - (happy tears) - it reallyl effected me - so full of good cheer - this will be a must to watch come December with a roaring log fire and maybe a hot port! Doesn't Doris look superb in this episode? Either with long hair and so groovy at the beginning or in her wonderful red and black outfit for the party with her hair swept up - our girl Day had style in abundance.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Cat fight!

Unread post by ray »

Doris was ahead of The Dynasty girls with a cat fight on her show with Duke's ( Larry Storch ) fake socialite girlfriend. Joan Collins and Linda Evans made cat fights famous on TV but Doris did it years before they came on the scene. Doris was ahead of them in the over forty glamour department too!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Billy's First Date

Unread post by ray »

This show was well written finally and had that light romantic touch with Richardo Maltobane ( Spelled Incorrectly Sorry!LOL ) But nice show with Doris sexy and mature with the right chemistry with Richardo.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Billy's First Date

Unread post by ray »

This show was well written finally and had that light romantic touch with Richardo Maltobane ( Spelled Incorrectly Sorry!LOL ) But nice show with Doris sexy and mature with the right chemistry with Richardo.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Clothes

Unread post by Jas1 »

Showed a friend "Doris goes to Hollywood" - she thoroughly enjoyed it and soooo wanted that purple outfit (and boots) worn magnigicently by Miss Day - what style!