The Doris Day Show Season Two

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

A Matter of Opinion

Unread post by Ralph »

Everybody has his/her opinion. I don't consider Doris Day's hair in Touch of Mink "long." When I say 'long hair,' I mean hanging down the back or longer than shoulder-length.

My favorite Doris Day hair is in "Glass Bottom" and "Caprice." I also loved it in "Young...Heart, "Pajama" and "Teacher's Pet."

Doris told them that in the second season, she wanted funny situations, not sight gags. When you have a funny situation, you play the scene straight, that's what makes it funny. Day, in most of her comedies (except for some of "Pillow," "Move...Darling," "Disturb"), Day played her comedy straight, as in "Thrill" and "Glass Bottom," even "Caprice." Take the latter when Day was in the tool shed. Day played that slapstick so realistically, you believed everything she did. I haven't seen that yet in Season Two. Perhaps later!

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

Well, got my Doris set yesterday (season two) and was happily viewing when the disc went wacko in the middle of episode 4. The disc has a dig in it that can't be fixed. Had to return it to Amazon. :-( I guess I'm destined to wait to enjoy the whole season.

I must say the extra features were a blast. Love the audio takes of the bumpers...(Hi, this is Doris Day....) How neat to hear the one that had to be 5 1/2 seconds...no more; no less. What were they thinking? Imagine trying to squeeze all those words into five seconds.

The outtakes were great to see, too. DAMN! :shock:

Ken C

Unread post by Ken C »

I prefer Doris with the shorter hair like in Young At Heart, Pajama Game, Glass Bottom Boat and Caprice too however I won't let the long hair distract me from the fun shows in Season 2.--My opinion.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Guest Trivia!

Unread post by ray »

I love finding facts of Doris's supporting guests on her TV show. Anthony Eisley who palyed Alex Rhinehart in the episode The Woman Hater, was a regular on the TV series in the earlt 60's called Surfside Six with Trou Donahue as the star of that show.
In the Woman Hater episode Doris acts with hysterical results the overbearing type female that Mr. Rhinehart loathes! Doris rants on and on, chewing gum and even teasing her hair at the table where they are dining, All this so Mr. Rhinehart who took a shineing to Doris would not change his mind about women so there would be a book to publish for Today's World magazine. Doris was brassy and funny and was told by Mr. Rhinehart that she should win an Oscar for her performance!
We ALL agree with the Oscar for Doris, which is long overdue!!!!

bluebird1115

That episode had me rolling with laughter. Doris was a hoot. I thought she was actually going to have a....gasp.... DRINK!, but she left it after one sip....

Ken C

Unread post by Ken C »

I watched the first 4 shows on disc 1 last night and enjoyed all of them.I bet Doris was worn out after doing the restaurant scenes with Anthony Eisley.The frog and Julie Adams shows were great. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the shows.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Correction and Great News!

Unread post by ray »

Anthony Eisley was on the TVshow The Hawaiian Eye not Surside Six. Robert Conrad, Troy Donahue and Connie Stevens were on both shows from Warner brothers TV.

And the exciting news from Stephen Mumms great site www.dorisdaytribute is that the first TV Special will be out on DVD in Late March or late Aptil. Finally ans we fans are estatic to say the least. The special is simple called The Doris Day Special with a nice photo from a TV guide interview around that time of the special. A big hair photo ( sorry Ralph LOL!) along with BIG talent. 2006 is going to be another banner year for DD DVD fans!! Now all we need is Storm Warning released!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

She's Best When She's "Natural"

Unread post by Ralph »

Doris Day, at her best, is a "natural" actress. Some directors, however, approached comedy from the idea that Day would do "funny things." When she later looked at herself on the screen, she cringed, and felt, "I wish I could go back and do it over again." This feeling can come years later when you sit and look at yourself. Ms. Day, herself, has said, "I don't look at myself (watch my movies), I see all the wrong things and turn it off..."

Directors like Michael Gordon, didn't take into consideration that over-doing the eye-rolling would wear thin with repeated viewings. What made Lucille Ball so great was that she played Lucy ("I Love Lucy") from a realistic standpoint. The situation was funny and she played it straight. Doris' best comedic performances came when she did exactly the same ("Thrill," "Caprice," "Daisies," "Lover," "Eggrole.") When she went out on a limb and tried to be funny, it came off as dishonest. Look what happened to Lucille with "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy." Ball went completely in the opposite direction than "I Love Lucy." She and the great Vivian Vance got stuck in the "we've got to make this funny" mode and went berserk with unfunny, forced comedy. All of it was too broad...they overdid everything. Poor Gale Gordon became a blustering, overblown joke...good character actor gone bad.

Someone said they liked it when in the opening of the Doris Day Show, she hopped across the street! That's soooooo phony (40 year old women don't hop across the street!). I agree that Mary Tyler Moore stole the hat thing from Day in her opening and Valerie Harper then swiped it from Mary. The gesture was realistic - people do fight to keep their hats when a strong wind comes up!

On the first DVD of the second season, I found the hair as part of an outrageous attempt to make Doris look younger and "dressed up." Her more natural look and performance in the first season was more appealing to me.

I'm taking a vacation day today and will take a gander at the second DVD in this set. Will report later...

Vicki M

Billy Martin

Unread post by Vicki M »

I just saw "Billy" on an ad for Bayer aspirin yesterday. He grew into quite a handsome man. He still has that cute grin. I have seen him in Lotrimin and Campell's soup ads - among others that I can't think of at this time. He also used to play a bartender on the soap "Loving."

bluebird1115

I agree that Mary Tyler Moore stole the hat thing from Day in her opening
Perhaps that is because Doris' and Mary's opening credit sequences were created by the same man - Remy Kramer. Abby Singer was also Production Manager of both shows.

bettty

Speaking of Wigs...

Unread post by bettty »

Just enjoyed the show from the second season where Doris has a date with a Movie Star and goes shopping with Myrna and tries on a curly wig and a long black one and they decide they like her hair as it is! The baseball scenes were funny and reminded me when Doris palyed baseball in her old Moonlight Bay movies. Who was the actor that palyed the Movie Star? Anyone know? Also watched the show where Myrna gets a swinging singles apartment and Doris and Buck and the boys with Nelson go about breaking the lease.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Movie Star

Unread post by ray »

Jacques Bergerac played the french movie star Claude Le Maire and the hairdresser was Alan DeWitt. Get my info from the Garry Mc Gee book, Sentimental Journey.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Second Disc

Unread post by ray »

Ralph waiting for your verdict on the second disc of the DD Shows. Be kind! Doris had to do what she had to do to make the show a hit, a show she really wasn't into anyway. But gave her all. I haven't watched the whole second disc but liked the Movie Star date and the Swinging Singles aparment show. Looking forward to the Christmas show which I remember fondly.

bluebird1115

Is anyone experiencing playback problems on disc one episode 4 during the scene in which Doris receives the yellow roses?

I returned the first set I received for this problem, thinking it was the small scratch on the disc. A new set arrived today with no scratches or blemishes on the disc and yet the same problem is present.

I wrote to MPI. but haven't heard back as to whether or not it was an error is the pressing.

Teachers_Pet

Season Two

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

Bluebird,

So far I have watched the first DVD and half of the second one and have not experienced any problems.

Do you have another DVD player you can test it on? I notice that some DVDs that don't play as well on my one DVD player will play fine on the other one. One is a Region Free player; the other is set for Region 1. It probably shouldn't matter which player you use, but it sometimes seems to.

bluebird1115

Yes, I've tried it on three players. Even my PC can't get it to play right, and my DVD drive rarely has issues with playback.

I e-mailed MPI Home Video and they asked me to send them the disc and they'll replace it.

I watched discs 2, 3, and 4 yesterday. I couldn't stop. :shock: It was a fun time. Must say, though, that Billy DeWolf is a bit too much to take.

Vinton F

Video player

Unread post by Vinton F »

I had to buy a new video player when my disc did that.

Teachers_Pet

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

bluebird1115 wrote:I e-mailed MPI Home Video and they asked me to send them the disc and they'll replace it.
Good luck with your replacement disc, Bluebird.

A similar thing happened to me with Bear Family's Secret Love set. Disc #4 skipped right at the beginning no matter how I tried to clean it. I notified the vendor where I had bought it, and he sent me a new disc within about 3 weeks. He didn't even ask that the defective disc be returned.

Betty

Katie

Unread post by Betty »

Katie I haven't seen you post about how you are enjoying the second season of The Doris Day Show. i know you were looking forward to them and hope the negative ranting about them did not turn you off about discussing them. This is all we have of fairly new materail on Doris and as fans we should be enjoying them, I know I am!

Jas1
Honorary Member

A great Day coming!

Unread post by Jas1 »

I can't wait to see Season 2 - the most successful (in USA Ratings) than any of the seasons. I have recently obtained Season one but due to time committments have only watched a fraction of the shows - look forward to the relaxation and some Do-Do over Christmas maybe.

Unread post by Guest »

I received "season two" yesterday, I have watched the "extras" and four of the shows, really enjoying it. Can't wait too see the "christmas show".

Karen T

Betty

Christmas Show

Unread post by Betty »

Karen you will enjoy the Chrisrmas Show, thought Doris sang more in this but the third season Holiday show she does!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I watched all the shows on disc 1 and enjoyed them very much.Good entertaining scripts. Doris looks fantastic in all the shows. She does a great job modeling. I'm looking forward to starting disc 2.

Katie

Re: Katie

Unread post by Katie »

Betty wrote:Katie I haven't seen you post about how you are enjoying the second season of The Doris Day Show. i know you were looking forward to them and hope the negative ranting about them did not turn you off about discussing them. This is all we have of fairly new materail on Doris and as fans we should be enjoying them, I know I am!
Hi Betty, and everyone--

I'm still here...I just havent posted in a while, I've been very busy lately...

But, I have been enjoying Season 2 VERY much!

I love the long hair (everyone has different opinions, i see!) and it just makes me so happy to be able to sit down and relax with D.

:wink:
- Katie

bluebird1115

KATIE!

Glad you're enjoying the show. I agree about the long hair. It looks great.

I rented a copy of Disc One from NetFlix to see if it had the same problems as my first two, and it didn't. Hmm. Hope the new one MPI sends me is like the rental -- problem free.