Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Vicious!

Unread post by Ralph »

Vinton! How vicious! :x

Vinton F

HUH?

Unread post by Vinton F »

Didn't mean for it to be. Only Doris could get away with all that and make magic on the TV screen. Sorry if it offended you.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Massive Wigs?

Unread post by Ralph »

I feel that the only time Doris wore "massive wigs" were in "Move Over Darling," and "Ballad of Josie." In films, you have to wear different hair for a variety of looks. All actresses and actors use false hair for character. In "Jumbo" (being a period piece) Day added the long hair. I think that Doris only wore her own hair long right before she got into pictures. Her first couple of films, she wore long hair, but some of it was probably false. Day wore her own hair in films like "Lullaby," "Tea for Two" "Lucky Me" and "Young at Heart." I believe that her own hair was used in "LMOLM" "Teacher's Pet" and "Pajama Game." I'm not sure about "Midnight Lace," but it looked real to me.

P. S. I was not "offended." I was being dramatic.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Hair today!

Unread post by Jas1 »

On the wig front, to me, it looks as if wigs (or hair pieces) were only worn on the following - and they never matched up to her own naturally thick beautiful hair: -
"The man who knew too much" - hair piece (bun)
"Touch of Mink" - again, bun in the black dress - wonderful!
"Jumbo" - as stated
"Move over darling" - move over wigs!
"Send me no flowers"
"Caprice" - dont' know why as the real thing "Glass Bottom Boat" was much more effective!
"Ballad of Josie"
"Eggroll" - (some scenes)

Wasn't the "long" hair from Season 2 Doris' real hair? I know she wore wigs too in season 2 and 3 in the style of Caprice.

Betty

Fall

Unread post by Betty »

Myrna ( Rose Marie ) says to Doris when shesees the long hair fall on Doris, "nice Hair"!. Doris Martin repies that men love long hair and she flirted with that long air fall off and on that season untill the fifth season when that was her hair long. By the way I like hoe she looked with that fall in season two, very stylish and classy. That was THe Model Episode when she started wearing it.

joan

Wigs

Unread post by joan »

Doris had fun with wigs in With Six You Get Eggroll and on her TV series. In Eggroll the dog almost chewed up her wig and on the tV series Doris went from long hair to short with the wigs, which looked fabulous. In one TV scene she pulled off her Caprice type wig and combed out her own long hair.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Day's Hair Style

Unread post by Ralph »

I think that Doris Day's hairdressers were very clever. In "Caprice," in the scene when Patricia went to the Chinese girl's apartment: when she and Richard Harris were running from the cops, Day's hair blew back and it looked like it was coming from the roots. I think that some of that hair was her's (I don't believe her hair was that thick), but it was very attractive.

I've always liked Doris' own hair. The Dutchboy cut from "Caprice" and "Glass Bottom" was really neat, but to get the full effect, they probably "added" some to make it more attractive.

"Move Over Darling" was Doris' biggest problem with hair. I don't know if Marilyn Monroe was wearing a wig in "Somethin's Gotta Give," but they tried to duplicate her hair in "Move Over..." They went overboard and were changing Day's wigs mid-scene!

I've always thought that Doris was really "Doris Day" in "Lullaby of Broadway." Day's hair was wonderful and looked great in the "I Love The Way You Say Goodnight" number when they went into slow motion.

Jas1
Honorary Member

hair hair!!

Unread post by Jas1 »

Oh Ralph! I can't believe you liked that Guertrude Wheeler hairstyle from the early fifties! Even Doris herself hated it (in retrospect). I think "by far" this is the worst hairstyle Doris ever wore - old fashioned, ageing etc - I really do not like it.

Joan, yes - I think the episode you remember is from Season 3 - when Doris is suspected of being a spy (shadings of Glass Bottom boat) and she takes off the caprice style wig before going to bed and combs out her own very long hair which looked wonderful by the way. When I saw that I wondered why she did not use her own hair more often worn long and loose!.

PS - a bit behind the times - bought the Doris Day show dvd season 1 last night - haven't watched it yet but she looks superb in some of the scened I glanced at.

bettty

D Day!

Unread post by bettty »

Today is D Day! Did everyone get the TV shows season two? I got mine and watched the first two and am loving them!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Shipped

Unread post by Ralph »

Got a notice from amazon.com today, it has been shipped. Yippy!!! :lol:

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

oh my gosh...what is wrong with this picture--my copy hasn't even been shipped from amazon yet!! When season 1 came out, I was one of the last ones to get it as well...Is it because I live in the middle of nowhere or what?!?!

I'm just WAY too excited--I can't take the waiting!!!!!! lol
- Katie

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

New Yourk is a priority state. Live with That! :roll: LOL...JUST KIDDING!

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Acting

Unread post by ray »

I recall reading an article at the time that Mc Lean Stevenson threw a tantrum on the Doris Day Show set because of long hours. After stewing in his dressing room he went to Doris's trailer and spoke with Doris and he said he learned more about acting from their chat then he ever had before.
Mc Lean after the next season left The Doris Day Show to do Mash the TV series and he did quite well with that show. In 1973 he was guest host for Johnny Carson on The tonight Show and Doris was his guest. Doris wore a pants suit and and looked casual chic and seemed to be enjoying her first time on The Tonight Show. Mc Lean passed away a few years ago and most of his interviews were positive about Doris when she was mentioned.

Calamity

Unread post by Calamity »

is everyone enjoying season 2 then? you lucky people! it's not released over here until 7th november - I can't wait! I really loved season 1 :D

Teachers_Pet

Doris Day Show--Season Two

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

I just received the DVD's yesterday; last night I watched all the extras and the first two episodes.

I remember that first episode as if it was yesterday--when Doris is looking for a job in San Francisco.

I LOVE the bloopers. I replayed those several times. Doris says "Damn" a lot when she goofs up. :lol:

I know I find it difficult to be patient; it's worth the wait. Happy viewing, everyone.

bettty

Julie Adams

Unread post by bettty »

Julie Adams appeared in many 50's and 60's movies and was on The Doris Day Show in season two and five, Married For A Day and the Press Secretary was the names of the episodes. She was an attractive actress.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Got Mine Today

Unread post by Ralph »

Doris Day, Session 2, arrived today. As with everyone else, I went straight for the extras. Very nice interviews with Rose Marie and Larry Storch. They are probably saving Kay Ballard for #3.

Day's appearances on the Oscars would be nice as an extra and I'm sure they could get clearance for her guesting on the Merv Griffin Show. Maybe even her Tonight Show appearances. But, that's probably asking much too much!

I only watched two episodes on the fourth DVD: one about The Prince and the Larry Storch thing on his dance studio. But, then there's this weekend!

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:

And mine hasn't even been SHIPPED yet!

Life isn't fair.....

LOL
- Katie

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

Katie wrote:
And mine hasn't even been SHIPPED yet!
:( Neither has mine...

Ken c

Unread post by Ken c »

Mine was shipped last week and still hasn't arrived!!!
Ken

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

DD Show 2

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

In The Netherlands this show isn't even available yet. Jus last week the first series became available. I saw every episode, just love it.

Peter

Teachers_Pet

DD Show--Season 2

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

It certainly is very difficult to be patient while you're waiting for anything DD.

Hang on, everyone. It's worth the wait!

So far, I've watched the first 4 episodes. I'm trying to spread them out when I really want to watch them all at once. :)

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Guest Stars

Unread post by Ralph »

Doris Day looks spectacular in the second season. I'm not nuts about the long hair, but she carries it off very well. WHAT A BODY! She wears clothes like nobody's business!

I like this show because it gives Doris the opportunity to work with so many actors she missed sharing the screen with, like Henry Fonda and Jacques Bergerac (wasn't he married to Dorothy Malone?) Who were some of the other actors who guested on the show? Didn't Barbara Nichols do Doris' show?

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Vote For The Doris Day Show

Unread post by ray »

The third annual TV-DVD Awards will be announced at a conference in California November 7th and The First Season Of The Doris Day Show is nominated. We can vote till October 31st at Stephn Mumms www.dorisdaytribute.com site. Lets all vote and make it a winner!!1

Jas1
Honorary Member

clothes horse

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ralph, I have just got the first season and really enjoyed the preview of the second season. You are so right about Doris' clothes - spectacular and so flattering to her amazing figure. I particularly love her long bob in the first season - especially flicked up.