The Man Who Knew Too Much

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Man Who Knew Too Much"?

Poor
No votes
Average
1%
Good
15%
Excellent
83%

Total votes: 78

Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: The Man Who Knew Too Much

Unread post by Ania »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Greetings from Polish. Have a good Sunday :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Alfred Hitchcock made cameo appearances in all his films. Where is he in The Man Who Knew Too Much in his Doris and Jimmy Stewart remake version? Loved the scene at the end and thats Carolyn Jones as one of the guests. I hardly reconized her with the page boy hairdo!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Great images Ania - thanks! :)

Ray,
Hitchcock's cameo in The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) occurs about 26 minutes into the film.
As the McKenna's watch the acrobats, Hitchcock appears at the left, below.

List of Hitchcock cameo appearances from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hi ... ppearances
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Wow great Bryan, never knew where he appeared in this film!!!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

He should have a fake bun like Doris :o

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

If you look real good Doris's bun in on the hotel pillow while she was taking a shower singing Que Sera sera. That bun never came undone during the whole picture, they played baseball with it on coffee break :shock:

webmaster

Yes, Doris wore a number of hair pieces in her films - they all mostly looked natural though, didn't they? (Maybe not the "Caprice" one.) In "Jumbo" she obviously didn't have hair that long in real life but she looked great with the hair extensions - I thought, anyway. Didn't really notice the bun - I thought that was how they did her hair.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris had short hair then, how could you not notice the BUN!!!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

a very natural looking bun indeed!!
this is how short Doris' hair was in Jumbo!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Great (new) photo:

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Someone thought Alfred was on the bus at the opening scene when the veil was knocked off the passenger.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan- how could you not have noticed the bun in this film? Albeit it is very naturally done.

Great film posters by the way.

webmaster

I must have been concentrating on the plot! :lol:

flower
Forum Friend

Unread post by flower »

'The Man Who Knew Too Much (1954)' Announced for Blu-ray

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... -ray/11837

Alfred Hitchcock's remake (of his own film) starring James Stewart and Doris Day will be available in an individual Blu-ray package this August.
In an early announcement to retailers, Universal has set 'The Man Who Knew Too Much (1954)' for a standalone Blu-ray release on August 6.
Order 'Oz the Great and Powerful'
Coming to Blu-ray June 11th

The disc was first released as part of the 'Alfred Hitchcock: Masterpiece Collection' and you can read Aaron Peck's review here.
Hitchcock didn't make a habit of repeating himself, but that didn't stop him from bringing two different versions of 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' to the screen: the first in 1934, which the Master of Suspense later likened to "the work of a talented amateur," and the second in 1956, which he touted as being "made by a professional." The thriller follows American tourists Ben and Josephine McKenna (Stewart and Day) who, while vacationing in Morocco, learns of a plot to assassinate the Prime Minister at the Royal Albert Hall. However, he can't turn to the police without endangering his young son (Christopher Olsen), who's been kidnapped to ensure McKenna's silence.
The Blu-ray will feature 1080p video, a DTS-HD Master Audio Mono soundtrack, and supplements will include: The Making of The Man Who Knew Too Much, Production photographs, and Theatrical trailer.
Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $29.98.
You can find the latest specs for 'The Man Who Knew Too Much (1954)' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under August 6.

webmaster

Doris Day Interview - The Man Who Knew Too Much by Michael McKenna
Published on 10 Jul 2013

Well, you never know what you will come across in old record shops. On this date (July 10, 2013) I found this one-sided 45 rpm record for 50 cents. It is an open-ended interview designed for disc jockeys to play at radio stations - an interview with Doris Day where she discusses her new movie, Alfred Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956). In the interview, she introduces the two "new" songs from the film - "What Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)" and "We'll Love Again". As everyone knows, "Que Sera, Sera" is SUCH an iconic song for Doris Day - that it is really strange to hear her talking about it here, seemingly for the VERY FIRST time, and actually introducing it to the radio listeners! (this interview was designed to be heard PRIOR to the film's release).

Parts of the interview will not make TOTAL sense, since it is obvious the DJs were supplied with a script whereupon they would ask Doris questions - and she would "answer" via the record. (I don't have the script.) The record had long pauses of silence (for the DJ to speak) so I edited those silent passages out. Based upon her answers, it is evident that Doris is asked if Alfred Hitchcock is now making "musicals", and she is also asked if she is leaving musical films completely to continue to play more dramatic roles. As you can hear, Doris begins to speak about the role the song "Que Sera" plays in the film - but catches herself because she does not want to give too much of the plot away! (I uploaded both songs from other sources since they were not included on this record.) She also introduces the beautiful ballad "We'll Love Again" from the film - and her deep affection for that song is evident in her comments. It is ironic that Doris originally was absolutely wild about "We'll Love Again" but not crazy about "Que Sera" - yet "Que Sera" became the huge hit, and TOTALLY associated with her - while no one today seems to recall "We'll Love Again". In the film, you only hear Doris sing "We'll Love Again" as background music - off in the echo-y distance - since, while she sings, your attention is totally absorbed by the action unfolding on the screen at the embassy - the climax of the film where Jimmy Stewart rescues his son.

Earlier on the day that I found this record - by total coincidence I happened to upload the songs "Love Me Or Leave Me" and "Julie" - the two movies Doris made before and after "The Man Who Knew Too Much". Then I find this interview. I hope all Doris Day fans enjoy it!

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

What an amazing find! thank you for sharing with us.

webmaster

There's lots more from the same person, 50s and 60s classic pop songs, including many from Doris:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxUEnNN ... &flow=list

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I watched this again recently on TCM in High Definition. It was amazing. The colors were so vivid and Doris' dramatic performance was even more powerful. While her breakdown at the hotel gets most of the attention, I think her reactions during the harrowing Albert Hall sequence are even more impressive. She had no dialog and had to internalize the dilemma she faced as a mother: does she thwart the assassination or does she keep quiet to save her son's life? She captures the growing awareness of what is going and how it was all meant to play out and, at the same time, she projects the panic of a mother who wants more than anything to put her arms around her little boy again.

This was bravura acting and she should have gotten a Best Actress nomination in my opinion.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Cogerson

Unread post by Cogerson »

This is one of my favorite Doris Day movies. James Stewart and Doris Day make a nice screen team. The movie gets the benefit of Hitchcock revisiting his own work....as he took a good movie (the original) and made it a great movie (the remake).

webmaster

I remember seeing this for the first time in the eighties when it was re-released as part of Hitchcock's 'seven missing films' - not released for legal-ownership reasons or something. I enjoyed it very much but Doris' singing of Que Seas, Sera at the end, when she wanted to respond to her boy's cries from somewhere in the building, was absolutely deafening! :) Maybe they turned the volume up.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

FYI: Did you all know that Christopher Olsen, who portrayed the son in TMWKTM, had already been in another movie with Doris? He was the younger of the two child actors who portrayed Donald Kahn in "I'll See You in My Dreams" four years prior.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

No, I didn't know that Musiclover.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Me neither. Thanks for the info.
Like Irene Dunne done.