Send Me No Flowers

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Send Me No Flowers"?

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
47%
Excellent
46%

Total votes: 70

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Send Me No Flowers

Unread post by Johnny »

I find it interesting and valuable reviewing previous posts over time on Doris' films. New insights occur
provoking more thought on members' posts.

I find Tom Santopietro's book Condiering Doris Day a true and factual tribute to Doris Day's important contribution to Hollywood history as an actress, singer and dancer.
I may not agree with everything he writes but I have genuine respect for his opinions. It is an important and well written book that I would encourage everyone to read.

Michael posted this comment on Send Me No Flowers:
"I think it is difficult to accept Rock Hudson as a neurotic, highly strung hypochondriac. His role would have been a great fit for jittery Tony Randall but not a stalwart matinee idol like Rock Hudson."

I can accept Rock in the role but I do think another actor may have been a better fit since Rock resisted doing the role. This made me think of Jack Lemmon who worked so effectively with Doris in It Happened to Jane.

Like Tony Randall in the television series The Odd Couple, Jack played neurotic Felix Unger in the film version. I would have liked to see Jack playing against Paul Lynd in the selection of the cemetery plots scene. It is one of my favourite scenes in the film along with Doris' brilliant juggling scene at the front door.

Michael commented that Rock appeared more urban than suburban. I agree.

Ania and Musiclover commented on how much they liked the title song, Send Me No Flowers. It worked perfectly for the film. Doris sang it beautifully.

These posts and differing opinions from forum members on Doris' films age like fine wine; over time they become more flavourful and enjoyable.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Interesting Johnny to look back - and I agree with Michael - I agree Jack Lemon would have been perfect in this role - though I am glad Rock did it.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I usually cringe when someone quotes me because my opinions often shift over time, but I still consider Send Me No Flowers the weakest of the three Day/Hudson/Randall comedies. It lacks the wit, edge and vivacity that made Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back so memorable. That said, Flowers was a cut above most mainstream sixties comedies and it proved this magical trio, backed by a crackerjack group of supporting players, could elevate an uneven script and deliver solid laughs.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bodley Crowther of the New York Times in his review of Send Me No Flowers stated , “ it is a beautiful farce situation “ and added , “Julius Epstein has written it ...with nimble inventiveness and style. And Norman Jewison has directed so that it stays within the bounds of good taste, is never cruel or insensitive, and makes something good of every gag”.

Variety felt, “ it doesn’t carry the same voltage , either in laughs or originality, as Doris Dsy and Rock Hudson’s two previous entries.”

Time Out London calls it “probably the best of the Doris Day/Rock Hudson vehicles ...nicely set in pastel -coloured
suburban dreamworld, but the ineradicable blandness gets you down in the end.”
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Show Me No Flowers Trivia:

Gene Kelly was originally assigned to direct, but exited when he failed to get Warren Beatty and then Bobby Darin to star.

This was the second of three films in which Edward Andrews appeared with Doris Day. The other two were The Thrill of It All and The Glass Bottom Boat. Andrews also had a recurring role of Today's World publisher Col. Fairburn in five episodes of The Doris Day Show.

About a month before the film was released , a brief clip , in black and white was shown on TV's "The Beverly Hillbillies " in the episode, "Jed Becomes a Movie Mogul".

The animated fireworks that appear in Rock Hudson's hypochondriacal dream at the start of the film were originally created for the main title sequence of an earlier Norman Jewison directed Doris Day film for Universal Pictures 1963's The Thrill of It All.

The $1,000 George paid for the cemetery plot is the equivalent of $8,806 in 1964, when adjusted for inflation.
Johnny