Julie Andrews

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
melancholy
Honorary Member

Julie Andrews

Unread post by melancholy »

Julie Andrews has turned 69 and there was this lovely reunion with "the Von Trapp kidds".Isn't this adorable?
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

CalamityLisa
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Julie Andrews

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

I love that movie! Unfortunately in Germany they dubb the singing in her movies, too. Isn't that stupid?
They never did that with Doris' singing here.
At the age of 74 Julie still looks juvenescent. Incredible!
The movie is enable for kids age 6 or older here, but I have to admit, that I found the end really thrilling.
Wasn't the role promised to Doris, but because Jumbo was a flop she didn't get it. In my mind Doris' singing is sure a notch above Julie's. I love her version of the title song! Anyhow I enjoy Julie's movies and singing, too.

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Julie Andrews had her own brand of charm. She sang beautifully back in her prime----I don't think it fair to compare her voice to Doris' because they were entirely different types of singers. I believe Miss Andrews began her singing career at a very young age - specializing in classical selections before switching to musical comedy singing. As a youth - she sang mostly arias from operas and similar type of pieces----very much in a Jeanette McDonald, Kathryn Grayson, Jane Powell, Deanna Durbin tradition.
Doris on the other hand had her musical roots grounded in the American tradition of 'Big Band' singing----her musical model was Ella Fitzgerald who herself was from the school of American Popular Singing. Therefore the idioms Doris and Julie used in their singing were the complete opposite.
I liked Miss Andrews' singing early on but I noticed that even before her disastrous sinus surgery which brought her 'vocal days' to a close---her voice did not very fresh and she was pushing it quite a bit which is never a good sign in singing.
Julie was similar to Doris in that both 'stars' found it increasingly difficult to find good roles in film. Julie tried to change her image though it really did not work to her advantage.
I think when any star has somehow created an image before the public it is very difficult for the artist to make a successful transitional switch.

CalamityLisa

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

Thank you for the information about how Julie started her career, TCM.
I'm sorry if you got the impression that I think she is a bad singer or so.
I definitely don't think so!
I was just imagine about how the movie would have been with Doris as Maria.
But maybe Doris would not have fit in that role? What do you think?
And you are absolutely right about that I should not campare their voices! Doris actually has the most unique and uncomparable voice I can imagine :)
I know Julie's singing mostly from her movies or broadway shows, so if you can recommend songs, please do!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Somehow I always find it odd Audrey Hepburn's voice was dubbed by Julie Andrews in "My fair Lady".Her voice is so cristal clear.You can recognize it soon enough.No comparison to Doris whatsoever,but sometimes I wonder what a cheerful bunch it might have been with Doris as a nanny...
Dorine
ps.Yes she is now 74 and looks fab.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

TCMMovieFan

Actually I thought that DORIS would have been far more suitable to star in the movie version of HELLO DOLLY as opposed to SOUND OF MUSIC as the role of Maria although nice would not have offered Doris many acting possibilities. As DOLLY - she would have been able to combine her unique comedic talents to her excellent singing and that movie would have fared much better with Doris as opposed to the woefully miscast Barbra Streisand.
Calamity Lisa - I guess the best Julie Andrews recordings would be the movie soundtrack albums from her very first movies---Mary Poppins & Sound of Music. That is when her voice was at its absolute best or if you can locate the original Broadway cast album of MY FAIR LADY - that would be great, too !
When Julie started changing directions in her career-----her singing was far less emphasized. Of course, she still sang but it seemed to be less and less while her acting was becoming her main interest.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Dorine ... Audrey Hepburn's voice wasn't dubbed by Julie Andrews. It was Marni Nixon who did most of the singing. Ms Nixon was in big demand during the 50s and 60s, and dubbed the singing voices for Deborah Kerr in "The King and I" and for many others of that era.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

For later Julie Andrews (and wonderfully) - check out the soundtrack for 'Victor/Victoria' - a wonderful film that I think Doris would have been fabulous in (Julie was amazing too). In particular, I love Jazz Hot Baby from this film.

Dubbing:- it is a shame how many good singing stars were dubbed in the past when really, they expected absolute perfection - at least Monroe won the right to have her own, good, and unique, voice heard in films. However, listen (on u-tube) to the dubbed Ava Gardner in Show Boat to the real Ava - who sounds great to me- I believe she too (Ava in Show Boat) was dubbed by Marni Nixon who had an amazing talent of sounding like how the star of the film may sound - had they actually been singing!

TCMMovieFan

Jas1 wrote:For later Julie Andrews (and wonderfully) - check out the soundtrack for 'Victor/Victoria' - a wonderful film that I think Doris would have been fabulous in (Julie was amazing too). In particular, I love Jazz Hot Baby from this film.

Dubbing:- it is a shame how many good singing stars were dubbed in the past when really, they expected absolute perfection - at least Monroe won the right to have her own, good, and unique, voice heard in films. However, listen (on u-tube) to the dubbed Ava Gardner in Show Boat to the real Ava - who sounds great to me- I believe she too (Ava in Show Boat) was dubbed by Marni Nixon who had an amazing talent of sounding like how the star of the film may sound - had they actually been singing!
Actually Ava Gardner in SHOW BOAT was dubbed by a singer name Annette Warren. Ava was also dubbed in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS. Her original voice was rather good----if a bit rough around the edges. Ava was unhappy that her voice was often dubbed in movies which is why she turned down the role of Ruth Etting in LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME---she certainly was not about to be dubbed again. I believe that Ava's own singing voice was used in only one of her films---an early one co-starring Burt Lancaster. I don't recall the name of the film however.
Audrey Hepburn's own singing voice was used in FUNNY FACE opposite Fred Astaire. I would have to say her voice was just passable but given the range required for the songs from MY FAIR LADY --there is no way that Audrey would have been able to handle them properly. Her voice was quite small so Marni Nixon was pressed into duty as she had done for D. Kerr in KING AND I and for Natalie Wood in WEST SIDE STORY. Marni also did the 'operatic' dubbing for Marilyn Monroe for the beginning of the 'Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend' number.
As for Julie Andrews--I do think her earliest singing was by far her best. She was apparently having some vocal problems that led to her surgery though of course----the botched results surely ended the singing phase of her career. If that had not happened---she could have continued to sing but knowing how the current entertainment world does not truly value good singing anymore----her vocal appearances would have been relegated to a PBS special now and then. I doubt she would be called upon to sing in any movies anymore because the film industry is not at all interested in producing movies involving music and dance. Note that there have not been any follow-ups after MOULIN ROUGE & CHICAGO. Budgetary concerns probably play a major role in this but I am wondering if the public tastes also are involved.