Vocal Problems !

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

Vocal Problems !

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I heard that Doris can no longer sing due to various allergies from the trees on her property. Its a shame though she has not sung in many years. Not since the DORIS DAY & FRIENDS series in the 1980's. At that time I noticed she was not in very good voice---------not entirely her fault. She had taken a break from Show Biz in 1975 to concentrate on her book and then the Animal Foundation and then her marriage. WIth all those happenings in her life I guess that she did not do much singing around her house. Singing is similar to athletics in that the vocal muscles must be exercised. Even if a performer takes a few months off from singing profesionally they need to sing a bit in the privacy of their own homes to keep the voice flexible and responsive to their needs. There is not enough time in the day so Doris had to let it slip by. When she did return to singing it was 10 years later........she did an album around that time that was never commercially released and sang on the Cable Program. Frankly I don't know if it was those songs but she sounded (to me anyway) as vocally very cautious and there was no longer that beautiful flexibility at the top. Yet with the direction of music - what really good material could she be given to sing ?

howard
Special Contributer

Re: Vocal Problems !

Unread post by howard »

Considering her age at the time, and the fact that she hadn't sung in awhile, I thought she sounded okay. I was just delighted to hear her again. In fact, when the first episode aired, and I heard her singing the title song, I practically jumped up and down shouting to a friend: "She's SINGING, and she sounds just like Doris Day! Eight of these songs, I believe, will be released on the upcoming "My Heart" cd.
Like Irene Dunne done.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

it is always a nice thing to hear from you, Howard. You have a great settling influence on the forum.

TCMMovieFan

I think I should give the album a good listening once its released.
I do remember the title song of the cable series------it was a good tune and it was unmistakeably Doris.
Some of the other tunes she was given to sing were not very memorable tunes. I don't think they were well-written for her voice but I guess that was the best material that could be provided to her at that time.
Actually I think the problem is that the best songs have already been written. We no longer have the Porters, Berlins, Warrens, Gershwins, Rodgers, Kerns, et al. Not even a Mancini ! The few remaining 'traditional' singers don't have much to work with when it comes to the current musical trends.

CalamityLisa

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

TCMMovieFan wrote:Some of the other tunes she was given to sing were not very memorable tunes. I don't think they were well-written for her voice but I guess that was the best material that could be provided to her at that time..
I thought most of the songs she sang on "Best Friends" were cover versions, such as e.g "You are so beautiful to me". Because I couldn't watch the episodes when they were on TV, I first had the chance to listen to these songs when I found them in the forum. Mike transfered them from cassette tapes to computer, so the quality isn't that good, but I think the quality of her vocals is still good. Moreover I believe especially "This is the way I dreamed it" and "Heaven tonight" could have been hits. I hope they will release "Best Friends" on DVD soon. Lisa

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I would state (concur with some) that it was not Doris' vioce that was the problem with the 1980s recordings but (for the most part) the quality of the material. For example, just listen to that high note on 'you are so beautiful': Doris still had it in spades and it is just a pity she did not record some of the great songs around this time.

Two years ago on the radio call in Doris sung a few lines if you recall, 'It's been a wonderful day, for Do-Do Day...' - and she sounded fabulous on this very brief (and fun) outburst.

TCMMovieFan

Thanks for the input. I really should have a good listen when these recordings are finally made available. I am glad to hear that she sang a phrase on the radio program - and that her voice is still in good condition. I did miss hearing that so I am happy to be able to visit this forum and be filled in. Thanks Again !

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

And on that birthday show of more than two years ago the interviewer/DJ Kevin Kaul followed immediately with the statement "It's great to hear you sing, Doris"--a huge understatement, beautifully delivered.

TCMMovieFan

I am happy that she still sings - even if just for herself.
Again - these conflicting reports and inaccuracies from those dreaded 'rags' ! I read that she could no longer sing because she developed allergies from the pine trees on her property while walking her dogs. At any rate - its great she can sing again ! Bet she could easily outclass anyone in the vocal department today !

itmsjim

Unread post by itmsjim »

I am so proud to share this story. Doris has a couple of my Jazz CD's. I was told by an assistant that she was listening to one of them last year (2009) and sang every word along to my version of "Darn That Dream"! At the end of the song, I'm told, Doris asked to hear it again...and she sang it twice. I wish I were there but word is that she sounded beautiful and just like people would think...like Doris. I suppose that I've unofficially accompanied her :-) But I'm just thrilled to know that one of my tracks inspired her to sing a song all the way through x 2. We all know it was beautiful.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Wonderful story: thanks for sharing.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Great story ... I'm happy for you that DD liked your arrangement, and was moved enough to sing along. What an honor! Good for you!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

For voice affect many factors: bad vocal technique, smoking, drugs, alcohol, a bad lifestyle. Know that if you want to keep the voice in the form, you have to practice every day, which does not mean torture him after several hours because it can bring the opposite effect. Enough to systematically, 15, 20 minutes every day. Drink plenty of water. What about Doris was supposed to sing now? This is an older lady, and I think that if Doris's voice is not perfect like once voice is not perfect like I am convinced today that Doris would be able to sing and show all of this pop singers how to sing beautifully, well technically : For me, Doris has the most beautiful voice in the world, wonderful vibrato, such an incredible lightness of singing, beautiful mountains in the voice Doris's voice is magic and diamond Now, no longer write such songs, because there is no such composers. Today it is mostly not successful processing of old hits to new versions of their :( Cheesy music, a lot of kitsch, bare body, more dancing than singing :( Or is super technique and there is no magic :( Song Doris are eternal How to listen to Doris sing, I have chills all over my body This is the true and great artist:D:!:

PS: I hope you understand?
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube