Forum Banners 2013

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
puck
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2013

Unread post by puck »

Great banners !!!

I'm pretty near gobsmacked by this new banner from PT. This to me is one of the most sensual poses I've ever seen of Doris, and her expression looks more romantic than sad to me. It really showcases their power as a romantic couple on screen. As for offscreen, who knows for sure, but my bet is their love for each other was strictly platonic.

It also goes without saying there was a deep bond of trust and respect between them. And that comes through in spades in this shot. Doris didn't have to know every facet of his private life because they shared a soul connection.

Michael

Me Too Michael.

Hollywood
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Hollywood »

First off, I love the coloring Barbara. I think it's fabu and love to compare them with the original b&w.

Secondly, I feel that Rock and Doris have something that is deeper than friendship (regardless of their sexual orientations). I don't like the term "platonic love" to describe it either b/c it's physical/emotional, but not sexual. There is such warmth to their relationship and chemistry on and off screen. I love seeing any photos of them together b/c I know how much they care for one another.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Yeah, I was grasping for words when I described theirs as a platonic relationship because as you say it was more complex than that. Again, I say they shared a soul connection that enabled them to understand and feel each other without having to put everything on the table. That bond took their onscreen chemistry to a whole other level. I know Doris believes in fate and I believe she and Rock were destined to work together and become friends. What a gift.

One more thing: Rock had great hands as this picture proves. Very important.

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Bryan in reply to your question about my text posting, this starting happening when I switch from Internet Explorer, to Chrome. When I am writing it looks OK, put when I hit reply or submit, it will start my sentence right in the middle on the next line. I have been working trying to figure it out, think it could have been when I didn't sign in to Chrome, we will see how it does now on this post. :roll:
No It is still doing it, anyone out there ever have this problem and how do you correct it? My writing looks Ok until I post it and then it breaks up my sentence right in the middle of a sentence and starts is again on the next line. :?

(I tweaked it a bit - maybe write your text in a text editor and post from there? But it's still readable, - Bryan)

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

This topic could go on and on...I just know that Doris and Rock were the best of friends.
I'm sure they loved each other but as very close friends.
As far as Doris looking frail....I just don't see that...I love this picture.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I don't think she looks frail either but I can understand Mary Anne seeing something 'different' in it - maybe 'vulnerable' would have been a better word. Quite unlike the character she played in the film, strong and equal to Rock. Here she seems to have 'submitted' and is almost clinging to him - although her expression looks more 'wistful' to me.

But we should probably be wary of reading too much into it - it was, after all, a photo-shoot to publicise "Pillow Talk", an important film for both of them, Doris having made a few films that weren't big hits at the box office and Rock looking to expand his repertoire and unsure if he'd be a success at comedy - so they both had a lot riding on it.

It occurred to me that perhaps the fact that Doris knew Rock was gay (I think she was being polite when she said she didn't as it was an open secret in Hollywood) allowed her to be so relaxed with him as she knew he only wanted friendship? I've never seen her so relaxed with any other male co-star. If you compare the close-ups of her with Louis Jourdan, for example, there is an undercurrent of sex that you don't get with her and Rock.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan, never thought my comment would generate such a discussion - maybe my choice of words "frail" was not the most accurate - your "vulnerable" choice would probably work better - it certainly was interesting to read so many comments, above and beyond the photo - life is certainly not dull and I certainly agree that Doris and Rock had a very special bond that meant the world to both of them. I had the honor to meet him when Tony Randall called Doris to meet with the two of them at the Beverly Hills Hotel to discuss a possible movie. Rock was very charming, handsome beyond words and very, very caring. So glad I had that incredible opportunity to meet the man in person, along with his beloved co-stars. Lucky Me!!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

That sounds a memory to treasure, MA. Thanks for sharing that.

Here's another version of the pic:

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Yes Bryan I think this might be the original one I sent you, I tend to paint with the more softer and subtle tones.
But I think mine showed more of the colored pillows around them, but everyone is different and likes different
things. :)

webmaster

Staying with Doris and Rock awhile longer:

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Love this..(Her all time favorite leading man) :D

jmichael
Honorary Member

I love it too but not as much as the prior pic, mainly because that pose was so provocative.

I think it was Bosley Crowther in the New York Times who compared them to two, bright shiny Cadillacs in his review of the film. They really were the ideal romantic couple at the end of the Eisenhower era.

Michael
Michael H

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan,
Thank you for this classic photo of Doris and Rock - always loved this one - the beautiful chemistry they shared really shines through in this one....a trip down memory lane seeing all the PT pix.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

As always, a wonderful banner, I love this banner

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Too marvellous for words!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Thanks all. :)

I know what you mean, Michael - it's sometimes (often) hard to find images we haven't seen before so we resort to trying to freshen up old favourites, which usually works but sometimes I'll see an image that I've seen 100 times and think 'Not that one again!'

This is one I came across that I've never seen before:

It was only a thumbnail and I've enlarged it x 5 times just to have a better look but it's too small for a banner,

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

The banner is drop-dead gorgeous!!!!!!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan - I have never seen that pic either of Rock and Doris. Great to see new ones.

Dorine- another fab candid one- like it very much.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Agree with Jas: love the candid pic from the set, which I hadn't seen before. Thanks for posting all these rare shots from Pillow Talk.

Bryan, a follow-up to your comment about the difficulty of finding new pics of Doris: where is the best place to find pics that we've never seen before?

Michael
Michael H

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Michael have you ever tried the site heckyeahdorisday.com
Always click on the name again, and it will open up to the current picture of her.
http://pinterest.com/source/heckyeahdor ... umblr.com/

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I love this banner, wonderful colors Barbara

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Daisy May2u wrote:Michael have you ever tried the site heckyeahdorisday.com
Always click on the name again, and it will open up to the current picture of her.
http://pinterest.com/source/heckyeahdorisday.tumblr.com
Thank you I just joined Pinterest and I'm having lots of fun looking around. Many rare pics of Doris on this particular link. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Michael
Michael H

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

I Love this site, you can check in almost every day and they will have a new picture up. :D

webmaster

From Puck:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Love the latest PT banner.